Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is a quick and easy holiday dessert to feed a crowd! Damp homemade pumpkin cake and frosting, made in an hour.
Skip Pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving and make this delicious, easy Cake recipe made with pumpkin puree and topped with a delicious cream cheese icing.
SIMPLE PUMPKIN CAKE
Change things up this holiday season with this tasty, light pumpkin pie. A bite of this light and airy pumpkin-y-cake and your guests will not even miss the pumpkin pie. It is so moist and full of pumpkin flavor and hot spices they love and you will love how little work it takes.
All you need for this holiday dessert in the crowd is a can of pumpkin puree, regular baking ingredients, mixing bowls, a spatula and a plate. No stand mixer or whisk needed, this Pumpkin Sheet Cake is made by hand. You can even gently add all the dry ingredients to a sieve and whip while sifting. Two steps in one and one bowl smaller, win-win!
This pumpkin cake recipe uses all the spices found in pumpkin pie like cinnamon and crushed nutmeg. Change 2 tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice blend if you already have it on hand. You can even use the pie spices in the frosting for more flavor.
If you have time, or have already made some, you can use homemade Pumpkin puree in this cake recipe instead of the can. This is a go-to pure recipe because it is light, quick and lasts up to a year in the freezer, so you can enjoy Pumpkin Cake from scratch all year round.
Pumpkin Sheet Cake is a light holiday dessert, perfect for large holiday gatherings! That Cream Cheese Frosting is simple and quick to make, plus we’ve included four different ways you can do even better! You can also skip the frosting and drip the cake with it Chocolate Ganache or serve hot from the oven with Vanilla is.
MORE DELICIOUS READING OF GRASSES
Create another free account Save recipes
VARIATIONS ON GREECE PLATE CAKES
- Cream cheese: Cream together 8 ounces of cream cheese, ¼ cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla to make a cream cheese swirl. Spoon blobs of cream cheese mixture over the cake batter and run a knife through to the marble.
- Mix-ins: Fold a ½ cup of chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, candied ginger pieces, chopped nuts or raisins into your pumpkin pie dough.
- Toppings: Sprinkle your frosted cake with chopped pecans or walnuts, crushed ginger schnapps or pumpkin seeds. Mellocreme pumpkin (candy corn pumpkin) would make a cute Halloween or Thanksgiving decoration.
- Cake mix: Replace flour, sugar and baking powder with Spice Cake mixture and leave the spices out, or use a Yellow Cake mixture with the spices.
- Healthy: For a healthy Greek cake, replace sugar with 2/3 cup brown sugar and ¼ cup honey, half the oil with ½ cup Greek yogurt and half of all flour with wholemeal flour. Bake as usual.
Different ways to make cream cheese frosting for pumpkin cake
- Pumpkin spice: Mix 1-2 tablespoons Pumpkin Pie Spice in, or use the same amounts of spices in the recipe to make Pumpkin Pie Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Cinnamon: Add 2 teaspoons crushed cinnamon to make Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting. Such a simple way to completely raise your dessert!
- Brown butter: Brown half of the butter required to make Brown Butter Frosting. Melt butter in a pan until frothy, continue to cook until golden brown and gets a nutty aroma.
- Greek yoghurt: Make a light frosting by replacing low-fat (not fat-free) cream cheese and ¼ cup Greek yogurt for the cream cheese.
SEVERAL EDITIONS OF CAKE:
HOW TO STORE GRASS MACHINE CAKE
- Serve: Unfrosted pumpkin cake can be at room temperature for up to 3 days, but with cream cheese frosting you will cool it down after 2 hours.
- Store: Cover the cake tin with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Bring the cake to room temperature, about 15-20 minutes, before serving for the best taste!
- Freeze: Cool the cake completely and cover the Pumpkin Cake with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil, or transfer the cake to a sealed container. Freeze for up to 3 months and thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10×15 frying pan with baking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk pumpkin, oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until smooth.
Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, allspice and salt together.
Whisk the dry ingredients in the pumpkin mixture until just combined.
Pour into a frying pan and bake 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Wait until the cake has cooled before freezing.
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 233mg | Potassium: 73mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 44g | Vitamin A: 2797IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg